Age Is Not Your Enemy

Day 13: Age Is Not Your Enemy

Getting older is part of life, but it doesn’t have to be an excuse to not feel your best. And yet, people have so many disempowering beliefs tied to age.

Sometimes it has to do with looks, comparing yourself to others or to how you used to look. Other times it has to do with how you feel, comparing yourself to how you used to feel or what you used to be able to do. Most times it has to do with measuring up to some standard you’ve set for yourself.

None of these sorts of thoughts are conducive to living a healthy, fit, and happy life. And I’m talking all age groups here. I’ve heard just as many disempowering beliefs from 20- and 30-year-olds as I have from 50-, 60-, and 70-year-olds.

Making health and fitness fun

Today, make the decision to stop measuring yourself up against the standards and beliefs that you’ve previously held regarding age.

Instead of letting fear and “am I good enough” standards cloud your judgment, live life by “how can I feel healthy and fulfilled” standards.

People are living longer than ever before, and truly thriving at all ages. It’s time to let those disempowering beliefs go and replace them with empowering beliefs.

Have you ever noticed that the people who believe they are young, happy, and fit really look young, happy, and fit? They seem to have much more energy and clarity than those that have negative beliefs about age. Do you see a correlation here? I do.

Check out the entire Live Well 360 30-Day Challenge series.

LeeAnne December 13, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Ha – I’ll be the first to agree with you !! Here I am at 48 and feel like I’m 20, and have been told I look 35 …. Some women I thought were older than me are actually 10 – 15 year younger… and some of the women I thought were my age or younger were actually older … the constant in both – the younger ladies who look older – don’t take care of their skin (sun worshipers – still), don’t workout, drink too much, eat too much or smoke – the older ladies who look younger… do workout, do take care of their skin (sunscreen), don’t smoke, drink their water, and eat healthy – coincidence – I think not!

Marie December 13, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I totally agree with you and LeeAnne. And it is all about what you believe about yourself. Working out and eating healthy makes me feel healthy, inside and out. I like exercise so I do it, sometimes running or jazzercise or step workouts or maybe kickboxing but whatever feels good to me. I like foods that are not filled with a bunch of additives so those are the foods I buy most of the time. In turn, I believe that it shows up in my outward appearance; age feels irrelevant when I’m doing the things that make me feel my best. Great article, Sheila!

Emily December 15, 2010 at 7:23 AM

Thank you for this simple truth! Personally, I, now in my 30s, am in much better shape than I was in my 20s. I have a respect for life and for self that I totally lacked in the early turbulence of my formation. Since I have discovered how to create happiness, I’ve also discovered that I want to be happy for as long as I can, and that means doing everything I can to be healthy and fit, so that I might be here to enjoy that happiness. I appreciate now, more than ever, the saying that ‘youth is wasted on the young’ but also believe that age really IS just a state of mind. Yes, our body ages, but our outlook transforms, and we are reborn, again and again, and with each rebirth we are given again that spark of youth, and how much better it is when we ARE old enough to appreciate it!

Donna February 19, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Hi,
I really need to do something now. I don’t feel good, my knees hurt and I am having a very difficult time maintaing any type of regime.
All I have been able to do is research –too much since I am not applying it– the wall in front of me seems to get taller. I am not sure why, but I am scared that if I don’t turn things around, I am reducing my days on earth–or at least reducing the quality of my days as each month passes.
I just feel stuck. I know what it feels like to feel healthy, I lost 100 pounds ~6 years ago. Right now, I have gained 70 of that back.
I feel part of it is my job–35 pounds since I started working again in 2009. I was healthier when I was displaced from my position of 20 years. I am looking for another position elsewhere–just have come across it yet.
I have no limitations with the exception of those I have created in my head.
I even have “a bag” and have never used it, the contents have been in the bag since it came in from when I ordered it from LivingWell360.
shed many tears while typing this–I actually feel sharing this has left me feeling a bit less burdened. I have to make a change, hopefully, this was my beginning.
Thank you for any help you can relay.

Sheila February 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Oh Donna, I’m sending you a virtual hug!! You are SO on the right track and you are right, just sharing does lessen the burden. When you write what you’re feeling, you open yourself up to the solution.

Awareness is the first step in change, and the truth is, change doesn’t happen over night. It happens through baby steps that add up over time. I’m sure you remember that from when you were feeling healthier.

So take a deep breath and give yourself a big hug and say “I forgive you” to yourself. So you’ve gained the weight back. It’s okay because you know what, you can lose it again and this time you understand that what you want is more than just the weight loss – you want the whole healthy lifestyle package. You can get there, I know you can.

Have you seen our 30-Day Challenge? It’s all about making the lifestyle of health and fitness fun – something you feel like you get to do rather than something you have to do. That would be a great challenge to commit to for the next 30 days.

You see, the trick to creating an healthy lifestyle that is sustainable is to get really connected to the WHY behind why you want to be healthy and fit. It’s not really about the number on the scale, it’s about how you want to feel in your body. When you get clear on how you want to feel and the life you want to create, then you’ll be WAY more motivated (inspired!!) to act/behave in ways that support that lifestyle. It’s more of a feminine energy/pull/take care of your body method of weight loss than the traditional masculine energy/push/count calories method.

I hope that helps. Feel free to continue to reach out as you get going on your new healthy commitment to yourself!