Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts
- 3 cups of freshly ground oat flour (I did this in my blender)
- 2 ripe (the darker the better) banana’s
- 2 egg whites (I used 3 oz. of Trader Joe’s liquid egg whites)
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbsp of powdered stevia
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of fresh ground sea salt
- 1 tsp of good quality vanilla extract (I used Nielsen-Massey vanilla)
Chocolate Icing Ingredients
- 2 tbsp of whipped light cream cheese
- 2 tbsp of mascarpone cheese
- 1.5 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1.5 tsp of stevia powder (depending on your sweet tooth)
- splash of vanilla extract (same as above)
- unsweetened coconut (as topping)
Pre-heat oven to 425° F.
Using a mixer (I used a stand mixer) beat the bananas, egg white, oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and stevia until smooth. Add the oat flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and, baking powder. Blend at low speed until dry ingredients are incorporated, then turn up speed to medium for about 1 minute to ensure equal distribution of ingredients. Be sure not to overmix the dough. The dough will be a “wet” dough that is sticky in texture, this is OK.
Take two 15×10 cookie sheets and grease them with a small amount of coconut oil on a papertowel (non-stick cooking spray would also work). Take a large spoon (tablespoon) from your silverware drawer and start shaping your donuts. I would use roughly two heaping spoon fulls for each donut. Shape them into the donut shape as best you can using your finger and your spoon. Place 6 on each pan with room to spare for the donuts to rise.
Bake for 10-12 minutes. Half way through baking move the pans to the opposite rack to promote even cooking.
To make the icing, use your stand mixer and add the mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, vanilla, stevia, and cocoa powder. Blend on medium low speed until cocoa is fully incorporated.
After donuts have had time to cool for a few minutes spread the icing on top and sprinkle on a small amount of unsweetened coconut on top of the icing.
Yield 1 dozen
Note: This is a gluten-free recipe.