30-Day Oatmeal

30-Day Oatmeal Challenge

Me and oatmeal, we go way back. I have always loved me some oats. With the creamy texture and nutty taste, mm mm.

Recently though, my relationship with oatmeal hasn’t been going so well. The spark just hasn’t been there. I decided to spice things up a bit (literally) and try to get that old spark back.

Over the past a few days, I have been trying some new oatmeal recipes, and boy, I cannot even tell you how much I love oatmeal once again.

Wow, what a difference a little creativity can make. This made me think, ya know, I could do some pretty fantastic things with oats.

Then it hit me, a 30-Day Oatmeal Challenge. I can totally come up with 30 different ways to make oatmeal interesting and fun. So that is what I am going to do.

Starting today, I will make a different oatmeal recipe each day for 30 days and share them with you. Get ready for some serious oatmeal fun. I hope you are as big a fan as I am.

30-Day Oatmeal Challenge Recipe List

Day 1: Banana Flax Oatmeal with Toasted Walnuts
Day 2: Pumpkin Oatmeal with Sunflower Seed Butter
Day 3: Chocolate Covered Strawberry Oatmeal
Day 4: Apple Crumble Oatmeal
Day 5: German Chocolate Oatmeal
Day 6: Blueberry Dumpling Oatmeal
Day 7: Peaches and Cream Oatmeal
Day 8: Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal
Day 9: Maple Trail Mix Oatmeal
Day 10: Berry Yummy Oats with Honey
Day 11: Honey Nut Oatmeal
Day 12: Peaches and Cream Oatmeal (Round 2)
Day 13: Cheesy Bacon Oatmeal
Day 25: Mint Chocolate Chip Oatmeal
Day 26: Pomegranate Cranberry Almond Oatmeal
Day 27: Strawberry Shortcake Oatmeal
Day 28: Carrot Cake Oatmeal with Cream Cheese Frosting
Day 29: Cherry Almond Crumble Oatmeal
Day 30: White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Oatmeal

The challenge is complete! 30 days went by in a flash. Will there be encore recipes? Stay tuned to find out.

Bonus: Smores Oatmeal
Bonus: Kona Coffee Cookie Oatmeal
Bonus: Blueberry Hemp Flaxseed Oatmeal
Bonus: Tropical Mango Oatmeal with Coconut and Cashews
Bonus: Empty Peanut Butter Jar Oatmeal
Bonus: Not Your Average Pumpkin Oats
Bonus: Overnight Oats with Yogurt
Bonus: Pumpkin Oatmeal with Raisins
BONUS: Chocolate Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

Which recipe was your favorite? Let me know what you thought, in the comment section below!

JOY November 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM

i love this!! Great idea. I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Oatmeal seriously rocks!! There are just endless posibilities.

Sheila November 12, 2008 at 5:52 PM

Joy, I agree! I’ve got a list a mile long. :-)

Fitness Surfer November 12, 2008 at 9:19 PM

I’ll be following your 30 day challenge. I already want to try the pumpkin oatmeal recipe. Yummy! Add a little nutmeg, and that other spice that‘s in pumpkin pie…all spice and um um good. I’ll have to experiment. Thanks for sharing, I’m looking forward to more oat recipes.

Fee November 13, 2008 at 10:14 AM

I like John McCann’s Irish Oatmeal from Trader Joe’s. I have an unusual, yet amazing concoction: I mix the oatmeal with a few tablespoons of e.v. olive oil or e.v. coconut oil, some raw honey, possibly almonds/walnuts/seeds, and 100% dark chocolate and heat in a pan (microwave is poison). It’s amazing. It should all be organic, if possible.

Sheila November 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM

Fitness Surfer – Glad I could inspire some new oat recipe ideas!! Really, the possibilities are endless…

Fee – I actually have hear of using olive oil with oats. I bet it adds a bit of a fruity flavor. Now, the dark chocolate and olive oil, that sounds unusual. I will add it to my list. Thanks for sharing! Keep ‘em coming everyone!

Josh Aronovitch November 14, 2008 at 2:40 PM

I’ve had some fun with savory oatmeals.

One of my favorites, sautee then crush a bunch of cherry tomatoes in olive oil, add white pepper and sea salt, then add oats to the pan.

Can also add a lean protein like diced chicken breast or a white flaky fish.

Sheila November 14, 2008 at 5:18 PM

Josh – I was planning to mix in some eggs and bacon in one of my tests, but never thought of chicken. I will admit, I personally love oats with fruity/sweet things. I will try the chicken and let you know how it goes. Really, it would be just like mixing chicken, fish, etc with rice, or quinoa, if you think about it, so I don’t know what oats + savory weirds me out a little. But what the hay, eating oats with meat is not the most adventurous thing I will ever do in my life, so why not throw caution to the wind, let my hair down, and try it out, eh?

Josh Aronovitch November 15, 2008 at 11:23 AM

it almost ends up tasting like a rissoto, with the creamy texture from the olive oil

Fee November 17, 2008 at 10:49 PM

Do you feel full after the Risotto?

Sheila November 20, 2008 at 10:04 PM

Fee – Not sure what you mean. Sometimes I feel full, but it depends on the recipe and how much I eat. ;-)

Kath December 8, 2008 at 5:17 PM

OH MY!! So many great recipes! <3 oatmeal

Sheila December 9, 2008 at 9:36 PM

Thanks Kath – You, or your recipe rather, is my inspiration for adding the banana earlier in the cooking process. What a difference it makes!!

Laura March 31, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I absolutely love your recipes! I love the creativity and variety… Thanks for sharing! :)

Kori June 2, 2010 at 5:09 AM

I found your blog from Macheesmo, and I just wanted to say your oatmeal recipes sound delicious! I’ve made my own “Almond Joy” oatmeal and “Carrot Cake” oatmeal too. :) I can’t wait to make many of these on your list!!

Sheila June 2, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Thanks Laura and Kori!

Carrot cake is the bommmb. Actually, these recipes are like children… it’s hard to really choose favorites because they are all great in their own way!! ;-) Variety is the spice of life, right?! Haha. Enjoy your oatmeal journey!

Colleen June 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Hi there! I just wanted to share with you that I love your oatmeal recipes so much that I created a blog post about them on allrecipes.com and had a good response to it. Lots of people still saving the link that brings them back here. Thanks so much! I have been loving the recipes. Delicious!

Sheila January 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM

(Somehow I missed your comment until now.) Thank you Colleen!

April January 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Please never get rid of this posting! I love looking through the recipes and trying them out. Good inspiration! :)

Sheila January 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM

So glad to hear you enjoy the recipes April! I’m actually in the process of going through and updating some of the recipes and pictures, so rest assured, we have no plans to get rid of the post. :-)

Annissa February 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I really like this idea. I just recently wrote a post about the financial benefits of making oatmeal at home as opposed to buying at fast-food places (at centstoshare.com). I like your ideas, so I added a link for additional recipes for our recipes here! Thanks for the great ideas :)

LuAnn July 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Oatmeal is an AMAZING food … great to see all this exciting recipes!!