Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts

Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts

Doughnut Ingredients

• 3 cups of freshly ground oat flour (I did this in my blender)
  • 2 ripe (the darker the better) banana’s
  • 2 egg whites (I used 3 oz. of Trader Joe’s liquid egg whites)
  • 3/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 tbsp of powdered stevia
  • 1 tbsp of coconut oil
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  • 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp of fresh ground sea salt
  • 1 tsp of good quality vanilla extract (I used Nielsen-Massey vanilla)

Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts

Chocolate Icing Ingredients

• 2 tbsp of whipped light cream cheese
  • 2 tbsp of mascarpone cheese
  • 1.5 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1-1.5 tsp of stevia powder (depending on your sweet tooth)
  • splash of vanilla extract (same as above)
  • unsweetened coconut (as topping)

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 425° F.

Using a mixer (I used a stand mixer) beat the bananas, egg white, oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and stevia until smooth. Add the oat flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and, baking powder. Blend at low speed until dry ingredients are incorporated, then turn up speed to medium for about 1 minute to ensure equal distribution of ingredients. Be sure not to overmix the dough. The dough will be a “wet” dough that is sticky in texture, this is OK.

Take two 15×10 cookie sheets and grease them with a small amount of coconut oil on a papertowel (non-stick cooking spray would also work). Take a large spoon (tablespoon) from your silverware drawer and start shaping your donuts. I would use roughly two heaping spoon fulls for each donut. Shape them into the donut shape as best you can using your finger and your spoon. Place 6 on each pan with room to spare for the donuts to rise.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Half way through baking move the pans to the opposite rack to promote even cooking.

Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts

To make the icing, use your stand mixer and add the mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, vanilla, stevia, and cocoa powder. Blend on medium low speed until cocoa is fully incorporated.

After donuts have had time to cool for a few minutes spread the icing on top and sprinkle on a small amount of unsweetened coconut on top of the icing.

Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts

Nutritional Info

Yield 1 dozen

Calories: 132
Fat: 4g
Carbs: 20g
Protein: 4.5g

Note: This is a gluten-free recipe.

VeggieGirl March 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Oooh, such an intriguing recipe!!

Nick March 16, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Interesting, how did these turn out? They look much denser and cakier then donuts, almost like a dense quickbread maybe? Still sounds quite tasty and I love your recipes and sneaky ways to get in nutritious ingredients and extra protein, it’s right up my alley!

Sheila March 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM

Thanks VeggieGirl!

Nick – you are correct. They are kind of a cross between a cake doughnut and banana bread. They are dense, more so than your average yeast doughnut. BUT… still oh so delicious. Thanks for your comments and yes, we love to be sneaky with our nutrition. ;-)

jules March 16, 2009 at 1:51 AM

these look killer good!..can’t wait to try ‘em. wondering if i missed something?….what’s the oven temp. and for how long ?

Jen March 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM

hey – just wondering….at what temp and how long to bake for….did I miss that part? they sound YUM!

Ryan Viers March 16, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Hey Jules & Jen,

Good catch!

When I put the recipe the temp & time slipped right by me. I have updated the post and included that info for you. I hope you like them as much we did/do.

Ryan

Sana March 17, 2009 at 8:09 AM

If I don’t have coconut oil..what would you recommended replacing that with? I have an allergy to touching coconut, so I tend to avoid eating it too. Thanks so much! This recipe looks really cool and I want to try it!! Perhaps should I get coconut extract?

Sana March 17, 2009 at 8:10 AM

ooo sorry, what about mascapone cheese too? I can’t find it anywhere where I live…I have literally gone to every single supermarket!

Sheila March 17, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Hi Sana,

We tend to use coconut oil for cooking and baking, as our oil of choice, because of the health benefits that it offers and the fact that it remains stable at high temperatures, unline many other oils, which can go rancid. But since you have an allergy, this is obviously not an option! You could try using butter or even leaving the oil out, and adding in a bit more apple sauce or plain yogurt (1-2 tbsp), which serves as the “oil” in many healthy/low-cal recipes.

Mascarpone cheese is really just a fancy Italian relative of cream cheese, but is just a bit sweeter. So you could substiture cream cheese.

Let me know how it turns out and what substitutions you used!

ttfn300 March 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM

oh my golly, must make these!!!