Coconut Milk Ice Cream

Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Dairy-Free Splendor

Recently Ryan and I have decided to step it up a notch. Although our eating habits are pretty much super healthy by society’s standards, we both know that we, like anyone else can make improvements. You are probably aware that I am a huge believer in not so much shooting for perfection, but instead shooting for constant growth.

A few areas where we are making tweaks are:

1. Giving up our daily two cup coffee ritual
  2. Laying off sugar-free products
  3. Searching out dairy alternative products

Our mission today was to tackle a very important part of number three. I personally, do not digest dairy very well. And you and I both know that sugar is not exactly on the “A+ for perfect health” list. But we both LOVE ice cream and frozen yogurt. Naturally, finding a tasty non-dairy alternative was top priority on our list of must-do’s when it came time to begin looking for dairy alternatives.

I won’t get into the soy debate here, but I will just say that we are not really huge fans, which is why we have always just ate dairy in moderation up until this point because in our opinion, it was better than the alternative. So, I was a little nervous to say the least.

Oh was I wrong. Mission Non-Dairy Ice Cream Splendor = Accomplished

We strolled through the freezer aisle at our local Whole Foods and came upon the ice cream section. I love buying the quart size containers because its just enough for a few servings, but not so much that you have this giant vat of ice cream in your frig, calling to you at night.

We searched through the plethora of choices and decided on these two options made from what?? COCONUT MILK! Oh how I love coconut.

Both flavors were insanely good, and I am sorry but I cannot choose a favorite. The chocolate was so creamy and deliciously smooth. The mint chocolate chip had a good minty flavor that wasn’t overpowering and the chocolate chips added a nice crunch.

I highly recommend both.

Here are the details on each…

Purely Decadent, Chocolate Flavor

Purely Decadent’s new line of coconut milk ice creams are perfect for ice cream lovers who want to eat healthier without compromising taste. Sweetened with low-glycemic agave syrup, they are dramatically lower in fat, calories and sugar than most premium ice creams. But because they are made with coconut milk, they are incredibly creamy and smooth.

• Dairy Free/Lactose Free
  • Sweetened with Agave
  • Gluten Free
  • Contains no soy protein
  • Cholesterol Free
  • No Trans Fats
  • Certified Vegan
  • Certified Made with Organic Ingredients

Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Dairy Free Splendor

Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Dairy Free Splendor

For more info and to check out other flavors, click here.

Coconut Bliss, Mint Galactica Flavor

As rich and creamy as premium ice cream, Luna & Larry’s Coconut Bliss is a satisfying, delicious, and healthy alternative to dairy and soy-based frozen desserts. Made from a base of naturally rich coconut milk and sweetened with agave syrup, Luna & Larry’s Coconut Bliss is certified organic, 100% vegan, kosher pareve, and made with certified fair trade ingredients.

Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Dairy Free Splendor

Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Dairy Free Splendor

Fore more info on Coconut Bliss, click here.

Literally the ingredient lists for each were like 6 items total. Try to find THAT in your local grocery “healthy ice cream” section!

One word of caution, some flavors are more calorically dense (Chocolate Peanut Butter and Cookie Dough) than others (Chocolate or Mocha Almond Fudge) so be sure to pay attention to the Nutrition Label if you are watching calories.

Coconut Milk Ice Cream, Dairy Free Splendor

I have found my new heaven, and the perfect summertime treat. Now, on to tackle those other two items on the list…

VeggieGirl April 21, 2009 at 7:16 AM

OOOOH!!!

Sagan April 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Wow, sounds tasty! I like the natural ingredients there.

Silly question, but does it taste very coconut-y? I really don’t like coconut (I know, I’m crazy:)).

Andrea April 21, 2009 at 12:24 PM

FYI, I love these (and also the Mexican brand of coconut sorbet – Palapa, I think) . . .

BUT – I get really bloated after eating them and a little gassy. So, I’m not sure what is the culprit, the huge intake of coconut, the agave, the added gums, etc.

Just be aware of that potential. Oh, I should also add that I eat the whole pint at once, which is of course a factor. But I did not have this problem when I ate pints of Haagen Dazs. No gums in there…. hmm.

Julie Keen April 22, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Thanks for the tip on these. I have recently gone dairy-free and wondered what I was going to do about ice cream this summer! I usually make home-made ice cream in my ice-cream maker and it is a legend among my friends and family! I’m going to have to start early tweaking with coconut milk!!

Sheila April 22, 2009 at 12:49 PM

VeggieGirl – OHHH, is right girl!

Sagan – Hmm, it is a tincy bit coconuty. I noticed it more with the Coconut Bliss brand than with the Purely Decadent. Other flavors may be different though. Too bad you can’t just sample them all before you buy! :-)

Andrea – Good point. I didn’t have any *issues* but a quart usually lasts me for 2-3 servings.

Julie – YAY! Let me know how it compares to the legend…

Marie April 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Bought a couple and they are really yummy!

Roland April 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM

I’ll be trying this stuff! I love everything coconut.

Erin April 26, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I had the Purely Decadent gluten free cookie dough-heavenly!! A slight coconutty flavor, but pleasant and not pronounced, and very very creamy. A treat for celiacs for sure. Looking forward to trying the other flavors!

Rachel May 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM

NadaMoo is another brand that is so delicious. Coconut milk with agave sweetener. Delicous!

Lisa May 16, 2009 at 12:53 PM

At my local Wholefoods if ask the people working in the various department how a particular item taste the sometimes either open the item & let you sample or if it is a frozen item they will comp. the item for you to try. It is a good idea because if you like the item they are able to sell more. The cookie dough gluten free coconut ice cream is delicious. I have even found gluten free ice cream cones at Whole foods.

Sheila May 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Lisa – Thanks for the tip. I wasn’t aware that they would do that!

Kim Briley June 13, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Coconut Milk ice cream is fantastic. I love all the flavors. It is my favorite energy food. I love those Medium Chain Triglycerides. Try eating a half pint before going to the Gym – it is great! I have eating at least a half pint a day for a couple of months now and I have lost weight – 3 lbs.

Beth July 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I was the happiest person in the world when I brought home a pint of the Purely Decadent Chocolate….It is sooooo good and creamy YUM!! And the best part is you don’t have to feel guilty. There is an after taste of coconut and mostly the agave syrup but it is a good taste.

Kim August 17, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I found these last month an they are sooooooo yummy I’ve told all my healthy peeps about them….. the mint chip is my favorite, and score~ my 10 and 7 year olds love it too… yeh!

angela June 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I love Breyers chocolate mint ice cream. It was my favorite. But my child can’t have dairy, I refuse to buy things like that he can’t have. Then we found out soy was one of the things hurting him too. I cried when I thought he’d never get to have ice cream. It was rare treat for me growing up, but a much loved one I wanted him to have too. Then I stumbled on the coconut based chocolate mint. It’s decadently rich & creamy & reminds me so much of my beloved breyers… I was shocked. There’s just no comparison between it & any soy ice cream I’ve ever had! The coconut is barely noticeable it’s an exotic back note, most people might not notice it at all. & I’m sure that if someone served it & didn’t mention it, no one would know it wasn’t dairy, not that rich & creamy!